Monday 18 September 2017

Concept Idea to Early Story Outlines - Major Film

Concept Idea to Early Story Outlines:

Originally, the story I had in mind at the beginning of the summer was a story of a creature trapped by an evil wizard and would eventually be freed by a young child who finds the creature and helps to defeat the evil wizard. This was quickly scraped due to the fact that it would be too long and would run far over the 90-second limit we had on the project.

(Characters of Hotel Transylvania 2)

The idea for the monster vs. baby concept, the first solid idea for the animation short, came to me when I saw Hotel Transylvania 2 for the first time over the summer. I was influenced by it to try and do a comedy around monsters interacting with each other or humans, but wanted to go with a more darker sense of humour with it. The first idea was a werewolf that hunts a child, but in the end the child turns out to be a Van Helsing-esque monster hunter. The early story had several versions, jumping between the idea that the werewolf was actually just an over-sized dog that wanted to play, to the scenario where the child was eaten after the werewolf survived all the traps the child placed for it. At one point, while thinking of environments and setting, the child was a young boy out on his first hunt in a wintry Russian forest during the 1800s, carrying around a flintlock rifle. His job was to hunt the beast that had been terrorizing the local sheep.

My of this ideas did not really go anywhere; the story I found myself coming up with where often times too long or I knew the audience would get lost during the animation due to the story being to complex and having too many sections. I went back to the first concept I had; the monster and its interactions with the child, from there I gained some influence from watching animated television series such as the Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry, and films like Brother Bear where a huge inspiration for another idea.

Nearing the start of college I had two ideas outlined; the first was the dark comedy involving the werewolf and zombie to fought over who got to eat the baby, while the second one was more emotional that involved a creature that befriended a child beforehand and the animation would be set around it trying to get the child back to her village at the top of a cliff.

(Early background test with character in foreground)

In the end I stuck with the Monsters against the baby idea as it was what I wanted to do from the start and the idea offered more opportunities to animate something funny and test my skills. The the creature determined to aid the child was set to be similar to my last animation project, with complex backgrounds and ambitious shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment